Mens Soccer 1

Men’s soccer ties Lafayette in rough weather conditions

What was supposed to be Eagles’ final home game was moved to GW last minute

AU men’s soccer tied Lafayette on Saturday 1-1 after weather conditions forced the game to be moved to George Washington University’s Mount Vernon Campus. AU (4-7-5, 3-2-3 PL) played a hard-fought game on the wet turf and battled until the final seconds of double overtime.

AU’s only goal was scored 36 minutes in by sophomore midfielder Jarrad Brenner with a beautiful shot to the top left corner of the goal. Lafayette was able to tie the score with a perfectly-placed corner kick by defenseman Andrew Venezia to midfielder Adam Bramson.

Eagles goalkeeper Lucas Manso made a few close saves. He finished the game with five saves, three of them coming from the first half.

Lafayette outshot AU 14-11 and finished the game with 14 corner kicks, compared to AU’s six.

Eagles’ head coach Todd West said that the team came in the game with a better mindset than Wednesday’s loss to Loyola Maryland and was proud that the team only conceded one goal off of 14 corners.

“I wish we could have defended one more,”West said, adding that Lafayette is “very dangerous on set pieces.”

The Eagles and Lafayette played a gritty, physical game. AU’s sophomore forward Jerry Zouantcha and freshman defender Malachy McGovern both picked up yellow cards, along with four Lafayette Leopards.

“I think we could have done a better job getting [the ball] on the ground and moving it and making them chase it a bit more,” West said. “They took us out of what we wanted to do. You got to give them credit.”

AU will play its final game of the season on Friday at Army West Point, which could determine if the team will make the postseason.

“We hope it’s not our last game,” West said. “I hope we get rewarded with more games.”

jwise@theeagleonline.com