LVL UP

Brooklyn band LVL UP brings headbanging energy to the DMV for the last time

LVL UP is set to play DC9 Club on Sept. 20

LVL UP embarks on their last tour after seven years of pure teenage angst that all started in a college dorm room at SUNY Purchase. The group will be playing the DMV’s epicenter for emo rock bands, the DC9 Club, on Sept. 20. The four-piece band includes Mike Caridi, Greg Rutkin, Dave Benton and Nick Corbo. This band of classmates is somber, but grateful for their fans and the experience they got to have.

“It has been an extremely rewarding journey beyond anything we could have ever realistically imagined,” the band said in a statement released June 11 on Twitter. “Our deepest gratitude goes out to every label, band, and person who’s played a role in this wild ride.”

This grunge band is relatively unknown to the general public, but anyone who knows LVL UP is obsessed. Their style is a combination of garage rock with hints of ‘90s lo-fi, drawing on nostalgia while provided a fresh edge to the growing indie rock population. Their discography extends to three studio albums, two EPs and their most recent single, “Orchard.” “Return to Love” in 2016, however, garnered the most success for the band.

“Return to Love” was a significantly better album than their past work solely based on a radical improvement in the group’s songwriting. The album drew on existential themes, rather than inner conflict. As the group got older and more serious, their progress forced them to look at the bigger picture and write about those bigger, existential themes.

However, it seems as though this one album could not resurrect them. “Orchard” was released with their statement in June as well. “Orchard” provided a sense of nostalgia for all die-hard fans.

Their dry humor and carefree nature is present in all shows, often telling random existential stories for their captivated audience. Despite their laidback attitude, they never lose a sliver of angst or headbanging energy.

DC9’s doors will open at 7:30 p.m. and the performance will start at 8 p.m. Tickets can be purchased here.

music@theeagleonline.com