Field Hockey Preivew

AU field hockey suffers a 2-1 loss in overtime against Boston

Dieckmann's goal was not enough to prevail victorious against the Terriers

The Boston University Terriers defeated AU field hockey 2-1 in overtime Saturday on District Day at Jacobs Field, continuing a recent losing streak that brought the Eagles’ overall record to 3-4.

Both teams had seven shots, with AU (3-4, 0-1 PL) shooting four of those on goal and Boston shooting five. AU’s Maura Jacobs, the Patriot League Goalkeeper of the Week, had three saves. Her .764 save record percentage is second best in the Patriot League.

Boston’s Miya Denison scored the team’s first goal at the 15-minute mark on a penalty corner, securing the Terriers’ lead in the first half. The Eagles were able to get two shots on goal but fell short of scoring before halftime.

AU commanded the second half of the game, earning three shots on goal and six penalty corners.

In the final five minutes of the match, junior forward Jette Dieckmann, assisted by senior defender Annaka Groschinski, scored the goal that tied the game for the Eagles.

“We stepped [our game up] from last weekend against Delaware,” Dieckmann said following the match. “We need to put more pressure [on the other team] in the first half of the game and come out strong from the beginning.”

In overtime, AU had the first opportunity to score, but the ball was quickly blocked by a Boston defender upon entry into the circle. BU’s Petra Hall was able to earn the game-winning goal in overtime after a run from BU’s Casey Thompson overwhelmed the Eagles’ defensive line.

AU led Boston in penalty corners 8-2. While head coach Steve Jennings was happy about the high amount of scoring opportunities for the Eagles, he noted that there was room for improvement.

“We haven’t been sharp with scoring on penalty corners,” Jennings said. “We need to be able to follow through on these plays.”

Despite AU’s tough loss, smaller victories could still be found on the field, Jennings was quick to point out.

“We saw great passing and more attacking on [the] outside,” he said. “In the upcoming weeks, we will review footage and focus on areas that need improving.”

The Eagles will now travel to Worcester, Massachusetts to face Holy Cross Saturday, Sept. 22 at noon. AU will return home to Jacobs Field on Saturday, Sept. 29 for an 11 a.m. match against Lehigh.

Still mourning that one show that was cancelled before you could see how it ends? Couch Potatoes co-hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu have you covered as they discuss all the series that shouldn't have ended when they did.