Songbyrd Music House

The Eagle’s guide to the DMV’s newest concert venues

From the Wharf to Adams Morgan, check out these eclectic music venues around the District

When new students arrive at AU, they may not be aware of Washington’s thriving music scene at first, and in past years, The Eagle has given students a guide or two on some of the quintessential district music venues.

Over the years, many new venues have popped up and have enhanced the rapidly changing, eclectic music culture of Washington. Here are some of The Eagle’s picks for the best music venues that are just starting out and have called the district home for only a short while, just like the freshmen and transfer students beginning their time at AU.

The Anthem

Where: 901 Wharf Street, SW

Metro: Green Line to the Waterfront

One of Washington’s newest venues, the Anthem, opened in 2017 and has since hosted a wide range of artists, including Bob Dylan, Foo Fighters, Janelle Monae, LCD Soundsystem and The Killers. Located at the Wharf, it’s a mid-sized concert hall with an industrial feel, built specifically for all kinds of music from the ground-up. It has a movable stage which can host acts that need the feel of a small arena and can also downsize for more intimate acts and comedy shows. Upcoming acts include Miguel on Sept. 4 and Lenny Kravitz on Sept. 24.

Songbyrd Music House

Where: 2477 18th St., NW

Metro: Red Line to Woodley Park Zoo/Adams Morgan

An Adams Morgan venue known for its funky, hipster vibe and comfortable aesthetic, Songbyrd is an intimate space that opened in 2015. It’s named for jazz musician Charlie Byrd, and draws artists ranging from DJs to DIY punk bands. Songbyrd also hosts listening parties and music trivia nights, and the space includes a record shop, restaurant and bar that provide the perfect combination of good music and good food. The record shop’s vintage 1940s Voice-O-Graph machine allows people to record singles on vinyl records. Upcoming concerts feature a mix of DMV artists like Martha Afework on Sept. 1 and bands from out of state like the Brooklyn-based Ritual Talk on Sept. 9.

Union Stage

Where: 740 Water Street, SW

Metro: Green Line to the Waterfront

Union Stage was established in 2017 by the team behind Vienna, Va.’s Jammin’ Java. It’s the Wharf’s latest state-of-the-art venue, which presents a wide range of smaller-scaled music performances, from rock concerts to acoustic acts. Union Stage also produces shows by independent acts and private events. If you’re looking for cheap tickets to shows featuring up-and-coming artists, Union Stage could be the place for you. In the coming weeks, Union Stage will present a free acoustic open mic at its Tap Room on Sept. 5 and the Los Angeles-based trio DREAMERS on Sep. 27.

Rhizome DC

Where: 6950 Maple St., NW

Metro: Red Line to Takoma

For those who seek programming outside of the mainstream, check out Rhizome DC, a nonprofit community arts space in the Takoma neighborhood founded in 2016. The venue encompasses all the arts, including music, and aims to promote creative works by experimental artists that empower individuals and communities. Events include concerts, performance art, exhibitions and workshops. Its education programs include summer camps with topics like experimental music, sound art and music composition and performance. Upcoming events include Sonic Circuits-sponsored concerts on Sept. 1 and Sept. 8, featuring musicians that defy genre.

dignacio@theeagleonline.com