Yavilah McCoy

KPU to host Jewish activist Yavilah McCoy

McCoy will lead event on developing multi-faith and multicultural alliances

African-American Jewish activist and educator Yavilah McCoy will lead an event titled “Getting Proximate: Developing and Maintaining Multiracial, Multicultural and Multi-faith Alliances Toward Equity & Justice” on March 20, the Kennedy Political Union announced today.

McCoy, a “pioneer in the Jewish diversity and equity movement,” has spent the past 20 years working in multi-faith communities and partnering with the Jewish community to engage issues of diversity, equity and inclusion, according to a KPU press release.

Through her work as the CEO of the educational consulting company DIMENSIONS, Inc., she has helped numerous partners to build “healthy organizations with measurable commitments to racial justice, equity and anti-oppression strategies,” the release said.

The event, which is also co-sponsored by the Center for Diversity and Inclusion, AU Hillel, the Kay Spiritual Life Center and the Nachshon Project, will be held in the SIS Founders Room at 8 p.m. There will be a dessert reception prior to the event at 7:30 p.m. and is free to students, faculty and staff with an AU ID.

hsamsel@theeagleonline.com