AU women's basketball head coach Megan Gebbia (center) with her plaque after being inducted into the Frederick County Sports Hall of Fame 

Megan Gebbia inducted into Frederick County Sports Hall of Fame

The women’s basketball coach has led the team to top of Patriot League standings

Women’s basketball head coach Megan Gebbia has been inducted into the Frederick County Sports Hall of Fame in her hometown of Frederick, Maryland, according to a press release released by the University.

The YMCA of Frederick County awarded Gebbia Outstanding Women’s Basketball Coach this year due to her efforts in making history in women’s basketball. Gebbia is currently in her fifth season with the AU women’s basketball team. As of Feb. 4, her team is at the top of the Patriot League standings.

The AU women’s basketball team is currently on a 12-game winning streak for the second time in history, with hopes of competing in the Patriot League championships this spring.

“This was never anything I ever expected, and it is certainly not something I could have achieved on my own,” Gebbia said in the press release.

Billy Walker, AU’s director of athletics and recreation, commented in the press release that Gebbia is very important to AU because of her mentorship and leadership in guiding student-athletes through their season.

Gebbia spent her playing career at Towson University, where she served as team captain of the Tigers during her senior year. Following her playing career, she spent 10 years at Marist College as an assistant coach, helping the team make nine NCAA tournament appearances. Gebbia led the AU’s women’s basketball team to victory this past weekend in a 71-63 home win against West Point.

You can find Gebbia coaching her team at their next matchup against Loyola tonight at 7 p.m. in Bender Arena.

falbannai@theeagleonline.com