The National Museum of African American History and Culture

Founder’s Day Ball to be held at National Museum of African American History and Culture

Event will celebrate University’s 125th anniversary

The annual Founder’s Day Ball will be at the Smithsonian Institution of the National Museum of African American History and Culture on March 3 from 7 to 11 p.m., event director Demi DeBonis announced Monday via email.

The event, hosted by Student Government, will celebrate the University’s 125th anniversary since its founding in 1893. Tickets are free and will be available through Eventbrite. In an email sent out to students, DeBonis wrote that more information about ticketing will be released soon. Free transportation will also be provided to the event.

The NMAAHC is devoted to African-American life, history and culture. It has over 36,000 artifacts, including Emmett Till’s casket, Harriet Tubman’s hymn book and Louis Armstrong’s trumpet, according to the museum’s websiteLonnie Bunch, the founding director of the museum, is an AU alum who earned his bachelor's degree in history from the University in 1974 and a master's degree in 1976. 

The University was chartered by an Act of Congress on Dec. 5, 1892. Founder’s Day will mark 125 years since former President Benjamin Harrison approved the charter, according to the Alumni Association’s website.

Previous Founder’s Day Balls have been held at the NewseumNational Portrait Gallery and National Air and Space Museum.

This story has been updated. 

mcarrasco@theeagleonline.com and kplewis@theeagleonline.com