SG logo

KPU to partner with Antiracist Research and Policy Center for debate series

Debates to feature “real-time” fact checkers

The Kennedy Political Union and AU’s Antiracist Research and Policy Center, led by Dr. Ibram X. Kendi, will launch a debate speaker series in spring 2018, KPU announced Thursday.

The main goal of the debate series is to turn arguments into proactive debates amidst the “divisive and polarizing nature of current politics,” according to a KPU press release.

“KPU is thrilled to partner with the Antiracist Research and Policy Center to start this debate series next year,” KPU director Shyheim Snead said in a statement. “More than ever, the current times call for proactive discussions to complex problems.”

Snead credits senior Morgan Stahr, KPU’s outreach coordinator, for working hard on the series and said he is “thrilled to get a motivated set of students to work on the initiative.”

Within the debates, there will be student judges and “real-time” fact checkers, according to the release. Fact checkers will go through a training process to judge and fact check the debate. Judges will be responsible for taking and giving points during the debate based on a set of guidelines. Applications to work the debates are due Nov. 10.

mcarrasco@theeagleonline.com