adams-morgan

Life After Hours: Sept. 8-10

Get off campus with these events before your schedule gets too hectic

Take advantage of opportunities to explore D.C. with a nighttime Smithsonian event, comedy night, neighborhood festival and more.

SMITHSONIAN at 8: Return to Summer Camp

Revel in the nostalgia of summer at the Smithsonian Castle and Enid A. Haupt Garden for Return to Summer Camp, part of SMITHSONIAN at 8 event series. Take part in classic camp activities after hours such as arts and crafts, music, games and more, all while enjoying cocktails. Tickets cost $30 for general admission and are available to purchase here. This event is open to guests 21 and older.

When: Friday, Sept. 8 from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Where: Smithsonian Castle, 1000 Jefferson Drive SW

Metro: Orange/Silver/Blue line, Smithsonian Station

202 Arts & Music Festival

Join the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities for a celebration of culture and creativity in the District. The festival features interactive art installations, live music, yoga workshops, dance performances and much more. Admission is free, but make sure to RSVP here first.

When: Saturday, Sept. 9 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Where: 4th Street and M Street SW

Metro: Green line, Waterfront Station

Heritage Harvest Festival

Gather some friends to rent a Zipcar and take a weekend trip to Monticello for the 11th annual Heritage Harvest Festival. The festival features food tastings and demonstrations, vendors, cookbook panels and discussions on topics ranging from food waste to gardening. Tickets are $28 here, with some events including an additional fee.

When: Saturday, Sept. 9 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Where: 931 Thomas Jefferson Pkwy, Charlottesville, VA

H Street Comedy Night

Stop by Driftwood Kitchen Saturday for a night of free comedy performances organized by Capital Laughs. You’ll have to pay for your food and drinks, but there’s no cover charge and no item minimum. This comedy night takes place every Saturday, so don’t worry if you can’t make it this week. Tickets to the event are free, but register online here.

When: Saturday, Sept. 9 from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Where: 400 H Street NE

Metro: Red line, Union Station

Adams Morgan Day

Sunday’s 39th annual Adams Morgan Day brings live music, food, art vendors and more to 18th Street. Businesses across the neighborhood will hold special deals, activities and menus throughout the day, including deals at Songbyrd Music House and Record Cafe, Mellow Mushroom, Pleasant Pops and more. Purchase of a $10 wristband donation also earns you additional specials at Tryst DC, Amsterdam Falafelshop, DINER DC and many more. Admission to the festival is free.

When: Sunday, Sept. 10 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Where: 18th Street NW, between Columbia Road NW and Florida Avenue NW

Metro: Red line, Woodley-Park/Adams Morgan station

Sip & Salsa

Crystal City’s 11th annual Sip & Salsa event is the perfect opportunity to spend an evening outdoors before temperatures drop. Try different wines coupled with delicious food from restaurants in the area while listening to live music. Tickets cost $20, with all tastings included, but $10 food-only tickets are also available to purchase here.

When: Sunday, Sept. 10 from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Where: 220 20th Street, Arlington, VA

Metro: Blue/Yellow line, Crystal City station

ljakiel@theeagleonline.com