dc-veg-fest

DC VegFest celebrates vegan lifestyle for ninth year

Free and flavorful experience to showcase plant-based foods

As we settle back into the groove of back-to-school hussle and bussle, taking advantage of all the free D.C. events should be on the top of our priority lists ─especially when they involve free food.

On Sept. 2, the first Saturday of the month, the DC VegFest will be take over the intersection of N Street, S.E. and First Street, S.E. starting at 11 a.m. The event will be filled with celebrity speakers, live music, activities and so much more.

Several highlights include celebrity speakers that will be coming to inspire the crowd about the vegan lifestyle, including former NFL defensive lineman David Carter, Catskill Animal Sanctuary founder Kathy Stevens and Doron Petersan of Sticky Fingers Sweets & Eats, who will be hosting a cooking demo titled “Vegan Baking Debunked.”

For nine years DC VegFest has been hosted by Compassion Over Killing, an organization promoting vegan and vegetarian lifestyles to end animal abuse through systems such as factory farming. However, the event originated 20 years ago as VegFest DC, hosted by Veg Society of DC. Executive director of Compassion Over Killing, Erica Meier, said that the organization is “proud to continue to work with them as a sponsor of our current event, growing this into the largest vegan celebration on the East Coast.”

“There is definitely something special for everyone at the DC VegFest, and each year we try to incorporate new components or ideas to keep people coming back for more,” Meier said.

Meier said Compassion Over Killing will work with local rescue organizations, including the Humane Rescue Alliance, for the event. The Humane Rescue Alliance is sponsoring a Barking Lot, an area designated to keep “furry four-legged leashed friends cool, fueled and entertained,” and will have animals available for adoption at the event, Meier said.

Another perk from the event is the first thousand attendees will receive a free tote bag full of samples and coupons. With more than 130 vendors, a beer garden and presentations from authors and celebrities, the DC VegFest welcomes locals, foodies, vegetable lovers and leashed dogs.

If you’re interested in eating plant-based foods or curious about the vegan lifestyle, the DC VegFest is certainly the best place to start.

When: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Where: Intersection of N Street SE and First Street SE

Metro: Green Line, Navy Yard station

foodfitness@theeagleonline.com