A$AP Ferg will perform in Bender Arena on August 26. 

A$AP Ferg to play SUB x WVAU Welcome Week show

The Harlem MC is also set to release new album ‘Stay Striving’ this month

A$AP Ferg will headline this year’s Student Union Board and WVAU kickoff concert in Bender Arena at 8 p.m. on Saturday, August 26, SUB director Bisagna Suh announced in a press release today.

DMV rapper Rico Nasty and hip-hop collective Respect the Bando are also slated to perform. Admission is free with an university ID and $5 for non-AU students.

Ferg, who first came on the scene back in 2011 as one of the standout features on A$AP Rocky’s debut mixtape, is best known for the singles off of his excellent first album, “Trap Lord.” Singles like “Work” and “Shabba” blew up online, but the album was a solid, dark piece of work from start to finish.

More recently, Ferg put out “Always Strive and Prosper” in 2016, which did not receive the commercial success or critical acclaim that “Trap Lord” hinted at. However, his position as the de-facto number two in the A$AP group and his hit song “New Level,” which featured Future, was a chart topper and club hit.

The rapper is known for over-the-top references to money and violence -- which are so absurd that they are endearing -- as well as bass-heavy production and a storytelling ability that is often dismissed due to his “trap rap” label.

Ferg did a summer tour with Future, Young Thug and Migos, and is gearing up to embark on a fall tour with his A$AP mob, which includes a date at D.C.’s Echostage.

growell@theeagleonline.com