Kay Spiritual - Summer

Life After Hours: April 21-23

Take a break from finals by attending festivals or concerts

Whether you’re looking to stay close to your textbooks or get as far away from campus as possible, there is plenty to do in the DMV area this weekend, including an arts festival, music and dance concerts, a cultural festival or a holiday celebration.

Artomatic

This annual large arts festival started March 24, but there’s more fun-filled events to check out this weekend. Artomatic, hosted by a non-profit, runs through May 6 in Crystal City. On Friday alone, you can add to the community weave, leave or take a book from the Artomatic Book Library, watch a screening of a short film, take salsa dancing lessons or make your protest signs for the March for Science. Even better: admission to the festival is free!

When: Time varies based on event

Where: 1800 South Bell St., Crystal City, VA

Metro: Yellow and Blue line, Crystal City station

The Glo Up

Enjoy Pitches be Trippin’s final concert of the spring semester with this “glo up.” The all-female group will perform a capella songs after handing audience members glow sticks at the door. Admission to the concert is free!

When: Friday, April 21 at 8:30 p.m.

Where: Kay Spiritual Life Center

Dance Works

This weekend, the AU Dance Company presents the annual Spring Dance Concert at the Greenberg Theatre - just a short shuttle ride away. The concert will feature choreography by students, faculty Britta Joy Peterson and Erin Foreman-Murray and two guest artists. The production presents a new and fresh perspective on dance, as performed by the university’s dance students. You can even participate in a post-performance discussion with the choreographers after Friday’s performance. Tickets are $10-15, depending on if you reserve one in advance.

When: Friday, April 21 and Saturday, April 22 at 8 p.m.

Where: 4200 Wisconsin Ave. NW

Taste of Islam 2017

Enjoy food and entertainment at the Taste of Islam festival this Sunday. The open house for the festival will feature displays on hijab fashion, a henna booth and delicious foods. Visitors can tour the mosque during the festival as well. People from all across the District and of all backgrounds, including nearly 30 churches and synagogues, will gather to celebrate Islam and all it has to offer. Admission to this event is free.

When: Sunday, April 23 from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Where: Dar Al Hijrah Islamic Center at 3159 Row St., Falls Church, VA

Metro: Orange line, Ballston-MU station and then Metrobus 1B

Record Store Day

Come and check out D.C.’s remaining record stores and stack up your vinyl collection. The popular festivities of this day include free paraphernalia, rare music releases and a day-long party. The annual festival celebrates independent stores and musicians worldwide. Take advantage of the promotions this day, though they will vary by store. There is no admission charge to the stores or events, but make sure to bring enough money for your new vinyls.

When: Saturday, April 22, time varies based on location

Where: Various locations based on who is participating

emartin@theeagleonline.com