Thursday, June 13, 2024
Washington Monument 2

The five best outdoor workout spots in D.C.

Tired of your gym routine? Explore these outdoor workout spots

D.C. is known for politics, networking and fast-paced life. It is a city that brings together thousands of driven individuals seeking to fulfill their ambitions. Although health and fitness is an important part of many people’s busy schedules, it is easy to feel trapped in the redundancy of a daily gym routine. There are many ways to shake up the daily grind and get in a workout while enjoying the great outdoors. Here are our picks for the best outdoor places to work up a sweat.

The Mall

The Mall is a D.C. classic. Not only is it a great area for tourists, but it is also an excellent recreation spot for locals with many great workout options. The lawn situated between the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial is perfect for body strength training, such as push ups, tabata or a core routine. There are also options to run, bike or walk between the monuments. At about 2.1 miles in length, the trail surrounding the Tidal Basin provides an excellent opportunity for interval training and sprints, while also enjoying the view of the Jefferson Memorial.

Where: 701 E Basin Dr SW (Jefferson Memorial)

Metro: Red line, Metro Center station

Georgetown Waterfront

The Georgetown waterfront is a gorgeous part of D.C. With a path running beside the Potomac River, this is an excellent spot for a run or bike ride. For long distance running, a run from campus is about two miles away. There are also options to rent a bike from City Bikeshare right outside of Katzen for $8 for a 24 hour pass. This is a great option for people looking to get into biking in the city.

Where: Water St NW

Metro: Blue line, Foggy Bottom station

Rock Creek Park

With dozens of wooded trails, Rock Creek Park is the perfect location for hiking or trail running. Make sure to have necessary water and hiking supplies as well as a trail map. There are many trails to specialize the length of the hike or run to fit the desired workout.

Where: 2401 Tilden Street NW

Metro: Red line, Van Ness-UDC station

Theodore Roosevelt Island

Do some pushups in the splendor of the 17 foot tall statue of our nation’s toughest president. Let the vigor that lived inside him power your workout. After the workout, enjoy a stroll through one of the island’s three walking trails. Keep in mind that no cars or bikes are permitted there.

Where: George Washington Memorial Parkway

Metro: Blue or orange line, Rosslyn station

The AU Amphitheatre

Need some fresh air but want to stay on campus? The AU amphitheatre is debatably the most gorgeous part of campus. Surrounded by trees and other greenery, the amphitheatre provides the perfect environment for yoga and stretching. For a faster paced workout, the steps provide an excellent spot for a cardio burst.

foodfitness@theagleonline.com

Editor’s note: This podcast discusses topics like suicide, sexual abuse and violence.

In this episode of Couch Potatoes, hosts Sydney Hsu and Sara Winick talk about shows that are created to elicit an emotion response from viewers. Listen along as they discuss past and current trends within media, and how they have affected audiences.