Wednesday, June 12, 2024
big thief

Big Thief Concert Review

The Brooklyn rock group rocked Songbyrd Music House on March 25

Indie rock group Big Thief played its latest album, “Masterpiece,” to a sold out crowd in the basement of Songbyrd Music House on March 25.

Rocking a riot crew cut and her raspy voice, frontwoman Adrianne Lenker brought the show down. Her ability to bring a crowd to cheers and utter silence in the same ten minutes is astounding. With a relatively short set that only lasted an hour, Lenker opened with a few solo pieces, then the rest of Big Thief, Buck Meek on guitar, Max Oleartchik on bass and James Krivchenia on drums, joined.

The band’s greatest numbers of the night were “Masterpiece” and “Real Love.” While Lenker’s softer pieces like “Paul” and “Velvet Ring” are astoundingly beautiful in their emotional storytelling, Meek and Krivchenia’s power and sound are incredible in these quicker tunes.

The band just announced its second record, “Capacity,” which will be released on June 9, produced by Andrew Sarlo and distributed by Saddle Creek Records. Big Thief’s new single “Mythological Beauty,” is about the time when Lenker was five and the treehouse her family was building collapsed on her, nearly killing her. The song is written from her mother’s perspective of rushing to the hospital after the accident, Lenker said in a recent interview with Pitchfork.

Big Thief will return to Songbyrd Music House on April 27, presented by WRGW.

nturner@theeagleonline.com

Editor’s note: This podcast discusses topics like suicide, sexual abuse and violence.

In this episode of Couch Potatoes, hosts Sydney Hsu and Sara Winick talk about shows that are created to elicit an emotion response from viewers. Listen along as they discuss past and current trends within media, and how they have affected audiences.