Thursday, June 20, 2024

Concert Preview: Los Campesinos!

Welsh indie pop band comes to the 9:30 Club on March 9

Indie pop band Los Campesinos! bring its newest album, “Sick Scenes,” to the 9:30 Club on March 9 for the group’s first U.S. tour in over five years.

Formed in 2006 while at Cardiff University, Los Campesinos! released its first album, “Hold on Now, Youngster ...,” in 2008. With an honest and energizing sound, the band shook off its initial label of “twee pop” with its second album, “We Are Beautiful, We are Doomed,” as the group adopted sharper and grittier lyrics. After the release of the fifth album, “No Blues,” in 2013, the band went on a temporary hiatus.

However, in honor of the ten year anniversary of the band’s formation, the members came together to record the self-financed “Sick Scenes.” In November 2016, Los Campesinos! announced its U.S. and U.K. tour dates in support of “Sick Scenes,” released this year on Feb. 24 to critical acclaim.

Ten years changes a band, but “Sick Scenes” has a vibrancy that only comes with growth and change. There is a self awareness in the album’s lyrics as they reflect on their past as a band and whatever will become their future. Their strongest track, “Here’s to the Fourth Time!” is a darkly humorous reflection on “the need to breed before we rot,” while self referentially reflecting on their youthful legacy.

Later this month, the angry, angsty and reflective sounds of Los Campesinos! are all yours to hear at the 9:30 Club.

Los Campesinos! will take the stage at the 9:30 Club at 7 p.m. on March 9. Tickets are still available here.

nzeigler@theeagleonline.com

As the semester comes to an end and one of the founding members leaves American University, Section 202 has decided to take a trip down memory lane. For our fans, old and new, who are wondering how Section 202 came to be, this episode is a must. Listen along as hosts Connor Sturniolo and Liah Argiropoulos reminisce about the beginning of Section 202 and how it got to where it is now.