Thursday, May 2, 2024
Katzen Sign

Life After Hours: Feb. 24-26

Wrap up February with a food demonstration, Oscars watch party and more

February is coming to a close, and you should enjoy the unexpected warm weather by checking out some fun stuff this weekend around the District, including the opening of a rare art exhibit, an AU production, a promising food demonstration, a diverse arts festival or an on-campus Oscars watch party.

Yayoi Kusama: Infinity Mirrors

Discover the psychedelic world of renowned Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama in her new exhibit: “Infinity Mirrors.” The art exhibit is a celebration of the legendary artist’s 65-year career in the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden. 

Enjoy a rare chance to explore six of Kusama’s dazzling mirror rooms, installations, sculpture and large-scale paintings, all making their U.S. and D.C. debut. While the exhibit is opening this weekend, it will continue to stay at the Hirshhorn until May 14. Admission to the museum is free, but you need to obtain a timed pass for the exhibit.

When: Beginning Feb. 23 from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Where: Independence Ave., SW

Metro: Blue or Orange line, Smithsonian station

Allegro

Allegro tells the story of a small-town doctor who tries to follow in his father’s footsteps—but is then tempted by fortune, fame and the big city. Famous theater duo Rodgers and Hammerstein wrote and composed this innovative and contemporary musical to explore the challenges an ordinary person faces in a modern world. AU’s Department of Performing Arts presents this student-cast musical for an admission of only $10-15, depending on where you sit.

When: Friday, Feb. 24 and Saturday, Feb. 25 at 8 p.m. and Saturday, Feb. 25 at 2 p.m.

Where: Katzen Studio Theatre

INTERSECTIONS Festival

The Atlas Performing Arts Center is bringing its INTERSECTIONS Festival back to D.C. for 2017. The festival will bring the best of arts and artists from the District to the stage with performances and experiences in everything from theater to dance, photography to sculpture, and film to spoken word. Discover the intersectionality in art at this extensive festival on H Street. Admission prices vary based on the event, but range generally from $10 to $25.

When: Friday, Feb. 24 through Sunday, Feb. 26, various times depending on performance

Where: 1333 H St., NE

Metro: Red line, Union Station

Food and the Great Migration

This delicious seminar will investigate the impact that the Great Migration from 1915 to 1960 had on American food and traditions. The National Museum of American History is bringing in guest chef Jerome Grant from the National Museum of African American History and Culture to prepare dishes that reflect that reflect the culinary changes from that migration. 

Grant will also help consider how African-Americans preserved Southern roots as “soul food” while creating new dishes simultaneously. Admission to the event, in the Demonstration Kitchen, and museum is free.

When: Saturday, Feb. 25 at 2 p.m.

Where: 14th St and Constitution Ave., NW

Metro: Blue or Orange line, Federal Triangle station

Oscar Party Under the Stars

If you want to watch the Academy Awards on Sunday but don’t have a TV or want to avoid your crowded dorm lounge, consider the other on-campus event happening this weekend: Delta Kappa Alpha’s Oscar Party Under the Stars. The professional cinema fraternity is hosting the screening of the 88th Academy Awards along with AU Student Government in the Letts Formal Lounge. The event is sure to be a hit with free food and beverages and red carpet outfits to match the stars on the screen. Admission to the event is free!

When: Sunday, Feb. 26 at 6 p.m.

Where: Letts Formal Lounge

emartin@theeagleonline.com