Sunday, March 3, 2024

California congresswoman to speak at AU

Rep. Barbara Lee to appear in honor of Women’s History Month

The Kennedy Political Union and AU College Democrats will host Rep. Barbara Lee, D-Calif., on March 9 in an event titled, “Women in the Trump Era.” She will appear in recognition of Women’s History Month.  

Lee began her own political career in 1990, when she won a seat in the California State Assembly. She later was elected to the California State Senate. In 1998, Lee was elected to serve California’s 9th Congressional District, now the 13th, in a special election.

Lee is known for casting the sole vote against the authorization for the use of military force (AUMF) following the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. She was also a vocal opponent of the Iraq war. 

She currently serves as chair of the Democratic Whip Task Force on Poverty, a position she has held since 2013. Lee also serves on the Budget Committee and Appropriations Committee and has authored and co-authored HIV/AIDS legislation.  

Lee received her undergraduate degree from Mills College and her Masters of Social Work from the University of California, Berkeley. 

She will speak in Wechsler Theater at 7 p.m. 

crozen@theeagleonline.com

Hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu introduce themselves and talk about their favorite TV shows. This episode includes fun facts, recommendations and personal connections.