Clawed Warehouse

AUSG holds formal attire clothing drive for Founder’s Day

“Clawed’s Wearhouse” is open to students this weekend

For the first time ever, AU Student Government is hosting a donation center for students to donate and receive free formal attire for its annual Founder’s Day Ball.

The center collected more than 130 donations, which will be available to students who can’t afford to purchase cocktail attire for the Feb. 11 event, Founder’s Day Director Martin Valderruten said.

“Some people might not have the access or the capability of buying a dress or having a suit,” Valderruten said. “I think Founder’s is a celebration of AU and you want to be able to look great and feel that essence of ‘movie-scene-esque’ when you walk into a place.”

As the event requires formal wear attire, AUSG partnered with the Faculty Senate and Staff Council to create Clawed’s Wearhouse. The center accepted donations from Jan. 15 until Jan. 25, but Valderruten said the center will still take clothing now.

Located at the corner room on the first floor of the Mary Graydon Center AU Information Desk, students, faculty, staff and more were able to donate their gently used formal wear. The center received dresses, button-down shirts, sports coats, three piece suits, accessories and more, Schneider said.

The center will not be recording information of the students that shop from the warehouse, but it asks that students bring their AU ID for identification purposes.

Clawed’s Wearhouse will be open for shopping throughout this weekend; on Friday Jan. 27 from 12 to 5 p.m.; on Saturday Jan. 28 from 10 a.m to 3 p.m.; and on Sunday Jan. 29 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.

The shop will not take holds on any items or guarantee certain sizes since they come from donations. Schneider also said that photos of the clothing are posted on the Founder’s Day Ball’s website so students can see what is offered.

“We didn’t think it was going to be this big of a deal, like you see these things happening in high schools,” Valderruten said. “... But I mean, we’ve gotten over 130 donations downstairs and that’s been really impressive and I’m blown away by it.”

Students are limited to one full outfit with accessories. However, this is dependent on how many total donations are received, Schneider said. Students will be able to keep the clothing and accessories they pick up after the Founder’s Day Ball. The extra donations from the warehouse will be given to charity, Schneider said.

Founder’s Day Ball will be held on Feb. 11 from 7 to 11 p.m at the Newseum.

mcarrasco@theeagleonline.com