Museum of the American INdian

The Weekend Scene: Nov. 11-13

Try your hand at ice skating, taste delicious foods and attend a gala this weekend.

Take some time to care for yourself and feel inspired this weekend with events supporting Native American veterans, local artists and girls’ education.

Veterans Day at the National Museum of the American Indian

November marks American Indian Heritage Month, and the National Museum of the American Indian will hold programming Friday to commemorate the service of Native American veterans. The Native American Women Warriors Organization will perform several honor guard presentations, and a panel discussion on the museum’s newest exhibition, For a Love of His People: The Photography of Horace Poolaw, will be held at 2 p.m. All programming is free to attend.

When: Nov. 11. Honor guard presentations will be performed at 11 a.m., 12 p.m. and 1 p.m.

Where: 4th Street and Independence Avenue, SW

Metro: L’Enfant Plaza, Blue/Orange/Green/Yellow Lines

Ice Skating at The Washington Harbour

The Washington Harbour kicks off this winter’s ice skating season this Friday, and will be open to the public daily until March. The cost is $10 to skate, with $6 skate rentals and $4 socks and gloves available.

When: Nov. 11, 12 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Where: 3050 K Street NW

Take any 30 route bus to M Street and Thomas Jefferson Street

Catharsis on the Mall: A Vigil for Healing

Held on the grounds of the Washington Monument, Catharsis on the Mall is dedicated to those who have been affected by trauma in their lives. The free 48-hour vigil features guest speakers, workshops, art, music and much more.

When: Nov. 11-13

Where: 1600 Constitution Avenue NW

Metro: Smithsonian Station, Blue/Orange/Silver Lines

DC Art Book Fair

The first DC Art Book Fair will be held Saturday at Lab 1270, highlighting the work of a variety of local creators including curated zines, artistic prints and photography books. Organized by the DC Art Book Fair Collective, vendors include Elizabeth Graeber, Hannah Renae and Marlena Chertock, The Beat of Blossoms and more. The event is free with many pieces available to purchase, so be sure to support a local artist if you are able.

When: Nov. 12, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Where: 1270 5th Street NE

Metro: NoMa-Gallaudet U, Red Line

The Emporiyum D.C.

The biannual Emporiyum DC marketplace and food festival will spotlight over 95 vendors this weekend at Dock 5 and Union Market. Sample dishes from around the country while shopping for unique gifts for yourself and loved ones. Vendors include Booqoo Beignets, Hello Neighbor Designs and Toli Moli, to name a few. Tickets are available online starting at $15.

When: Nov. 12-13

Where: 1309 5th Street NE

Metro: NoMa-Gallaudet U, Red Line

She’s the First Gala

Don your best cocktail attire and come out in support of girls’ education at Sunday’s She’s the First Gala at AU, a fundraising event with proceeds going directly to scholarships in Uganda, Nepal, Ethiopia and Peru. Dinner is included and the event will honor people doing incredible work in the D.C. area. Grab your tickets for $15 if you want to feel empowered.

When: Nov. 13, 6 pm. to 8 p.m.

Where: SIS Founders Room

ljakiel@theeagleonline.com