Shaun Frank

Shaun Frank brings euphoric EDM to Soundcheck

The rising DJ, producer and vocalist played an eclectic dance mix at the DC nightclub

Up and coming EDM artist Shaun Frank spun an eclectic mix at D.C. nightclub Soundcheck on Nov. 11. The Canadian DJ, singer and producer showed his wide range of influences, including electro, house, hip-hop and pop. Frank demonstrated his ability to remix various genres of music and kept the energy on the dance floor high all through his set.

Opening DJ Falzon began the night’s festivities at approximately 10:45 p.m. with a mix of house music as the floor started to fill. The crowd got amped up as soon as the three-note melody to dance classic “Show Me Love” blared through the speakers. When the thunderous drop arrived, the crowd’s movements pulsed along with the beat. That beat made for a seamless transition to a four-on-the-floor dance mix of Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean,” immediately starting the party.

The retrospective dance mix continued with a mix of Queen’s “Another One Bites the Dust.” By now, the crowd on the dance floor had swelled to about 80 people, and the music accordingly picked up in tempo.

Shaun Frank took the stage at around 12:45 a.m., accompanied by a video montage in the background. He opened with his 2014 Borgeous and Delaney Jane collaboration, “This Could Be Love.” When the long buildup in that track culminated in a thunderous drop, the crowd couldn’t help but move their feet. As the beat dropped, smoke billowed out from a machine on the ceiling in the center of the room.

Frank launched into a high-powered set, blending electro and house. He amped up the crowd early on in his set, asking them to jump up until their feet reached the ceiling. His music was simultaneously infectious and euphoric. By now, the floor had almost reached capacity. People would continue to pour in during Frank’s set.

Frank’s four-on-the-floor beats were accompanied by throbbing bass lines and melodious pop vocals. He mixed songs by The Chainsmokers, Coldplay and several dance artists into a sound distinctly his own. Frank also played a mix of his prominent dance collaborations, starting with his and Olivier Heldens’ “Shades Of Grey.” He also wove several energetic rap songs into the fabric of his mix, such as A$AP Ferg’s “Work.” Frank also included some dubstep elements in his mix. The energy level in the room never waned throughout the entirety of the set.

Frank transitioned from “Work” into a remix of Calvin Harris and Florence Welch’s “Sweet Nothings.” From there, he delved into one of his most popular remixes, “Ocean Drive” by Duke Dumont, maintaining a high energy in the room. Frank then transformed a line from Dr. Dre and N.W.A.’s “Hello” into an irresistible dance track.

Before I left Soundcheck a little after 1:30 a.m., Frank exclaimed that this stop was his favorite show on the entire Getaway tour. The dance floor was still occupied by a thicket of dancers. It appeared that the party would not stop until 3 a.m., when Soundcheck usually closes.

Frank spun an eclectic set that mixed his many influences and demonstrated his versatility as a DJ and producer. If EDM enthusiasts at AU are not already familiar with Shaun Frank, they should be on the lookout for this rising talent.

lversel@theeagleonline.com