All Things Go

Preview: All Things Go Fall Classic

Empire of the Sun, Passion Pit, Sylvan Esso headline the third annual DC music festival

Empire of the Sun, Passion Pit and Sylvan Esso are coming to D.C. in early October to perform as part of the third annual All Things Go “Fall Classic” music festival on Oct. 8.

Joining the headliners at the Navy Yard will be Christine and the Queens, Bishop Briggs, POP ETC, Sofi Tukker and Ace Cosgrove.

Unlike other festivals of this scale, the Fall Classic doesn’t have artists all from one genre, and instead draws from a range of artists with different backgrounds and musical influences. Despite this variety, it seems as if most of the lineup can be placed into the realm of contemporary pop that relies on subdued dance music, catchy hooks and overproduced voice distortions.

At some point over the past seven years, you have probably heard and learned the lyrics to at least one song by all of these artists, whether or not you knew it was by them (see: Alive, Coffee, Take a Walk, River, etc.). Bottom line: festival-goes should prepare themselves for 10 hours of accessible pop music with hints of electronic influences and the occasional song that everyone will know all the lyrics to.

In a slight deviation from this Sunglass Hut lineup, All Things Go booked Ace Cosgrove, the Maryland rapper (who has performed at AU), to be the sole representative of the DMV hip-hop scene.

Fans of Passion Pit will be particularly excited to hear the band is still performing at the festival, even after the indietronica group cancelled all four of their other shows scheduled for the coming months.

Food from Takorean, Beefsteak, Buredo, Shake Shack and more vendors will be available. For more information on all the vendors, the venue and the voyage to Navy Yard, check out the Fall Classic website. Tickets are still available: $75 in advance, $99 day of and $150 VIP.

Even if it’s not pushing the envelope with its selection of artists, the All Things Go Fall Classic should be a fun day of listening to familiar music, enjoying local food and maybe even surprising this writer with its caliber of performances.

jstringer@theeagleonline.com