Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Concert preview: Princess

Maya Rudolph’s cover band will play in DC on Sept. 25

The Prince cover band Princess will perform a tribute concert to the late singer in D.C. on Sept. 25.

Princess is now touring on the East coast in the cities of Boston, Brooklyn and D.C to celebrate Prince for his musicality and his stardom, which pushed the boundaries of music, fashion and sexuality. Prince died in April of an accidental drug overdose.

Saturday Night Live’s Maya Rudolph and jazz vocalist Gretchen Lieberum are the lead singers of Princess. The two have known each other since college and bonded over their mutual love of Prince. Though they started the cover band 5 years ago for comedic purposes, it has developed into a homage to Prince.

At the concert, you should expect witty banter between Rudolph and Lieberum. In past performances the band has covered the songs “D.M.S.R.”, “Dirty Mind”, “Erotic”, “Darling Nikki” and “Let’s Work”. Princess captures the vibes of Prince’s Funk, R&B, and Rock mixture. They will deliver their Prince covers passionately and won’t be a show to miss. And the two will most certainly perform “Purple Rain” as one of their closing numbers.

For any lover of Prince, Princess will be a great opportunity to celebrate his music with other fans. Be ready to sing, cry and have an amazing night. Tickets are available for $30 at the 9:30 Club. Doors open Sunday Sept. 25, at 7:00 pm.

scene@theeagleonline.com

Hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu introduce themselves and talk about their favorite TV shows. This episode includes fun facts, recommendations and personal connections.