How to handle SafeTrack

A breakdown of when Metro closures and delays are occurring and where

As many AU students left for the summer, WMATA began a massive 10-month maintenance project known as SafeTrack. The renovations, which include periods of single tracking and station shutdowns on all six rail lines, began in June and will last until until March 19, 2017. While the Tenleytown station is not specifically affected by the repairs, students may find some Metro lines more cumbersome than usual, including senior Rebecca Malone, who says she is “dreading” having to navigate the construction.

These are the most relevant details to AU students of Safe Track shutdowns as outlined by WMATA.

The following list outlines the Safety Surges and alternative means of transportation as described by WMATA’s website.

Blue and Yellow Line Service :

Jul.12-Jul.18: National Airport to Pentagon City

• Shuttle buses will be provided via Metroway between Braddock Road, Crystal City, and Pentagon City. These buses have not been specified as free for riders.
  • Service to Reagan National Airport will be provided via shuttle bus in and out of Pentagon City and Braddock Road stations.
  • Significant crowds on cars is expected, so WMATA officials suggest the Green Line as an alternate route between Fort Totten and Gallery Place stations.

Aug. 20- Sept. 5: Franconia-Springfield and Van Dorn

• Trains will run to and from Huntington station as an alternative to Franconia-Springfield.

Dec.7-Dec.24: Pentagon to Rosslyn

• Free shuttle buses will operate between Pentagon and Rosslyn stations and between Arlington Cemetery and Pentagon stations.

Feb.2- Jan.13, 2017 and 10pm Jan.22-Feb.3, 2017

• Shuttle trains will run from Huntington to King Street only.

Red Line:

Aug.1 - Aug.7: Takoma-Silver Springs

• Riders travelling between Fort Totten and Downtown DC should use the Green Line as an alternate method of transportation.
  • All Red Line riders should avoid riding during rush hours.

Aug. 9 - Aug.18: Shady Grove and Rockville Stations

• If possible, it is suggested that riders use the Twinbrook, White Flint or Grosvenor stations as alternatives.

Oct. 10- Nov. 11: NoMa-Fort Totten

• Shuttle buses will be provided between NoMa and Fort Totten instead of trains.
  • Use Green Line as alternative between Fort Totten and Gallery Place.

Green Line:

Nov. 12-Dec.6:Greenbelt-College Park

• Greenbelt riders should use New Carrollton or College Park stations as alternative travel options.

In addition to the above listed alternatives to the line segments undergoing renovations, Metro users are encouraged to find alternative means of transportation between stations undergoing SafeTrack maintenance, according to the WMATA website. Additionally, on lines undergoing SafeTrack maintenance, WMATA suggests avoiding rails during rush hours. Metro will provide free shuttles during certain periods of track work, so be sure to check the website for updates on how to avoid major delays or line closures.

The shutdowns will affect weekend services on all lines during this time period. The Metro will close at midnight on Friday and Saturday nights throughout SafeTrack..

Though the safety surges will certainly cause major disruptions for thousands across the DMV, some AU students acknowledged the long term benefits after these repairs are made.

Carolina Romero, a second year student, was caught amidst an electrical fire on the Red line between the Friendship Heights and Bethesda stations in May.

“I know many of us will be severely inconvenienced by the repairs next school year,” she said.”I know these repairs will disrupt the city, but take it from me -- you don’t want to be riding a faulty train.”

tmaher@theeagleonline.com