One of the sweet treats available at Milk Bar. 

The Scene’s guide to the best ice cream in the District

Your essential bucket list to help curb you ice cream cravings this season

Are you searching for a way to beat the heat in the District this season? Look no further than the irresistible cold treat, ice cream. Whether you prefer gelato, sundaes or a classic cone, The Scene has your sweet summer bucket list covered.

Thomas Sweet

Tucked away in the heart of Georgetown, Thomas Sweet is a favorite among Washingtonians and presidents alike. This old-fashioned parlor features quintessential options, as well as unique concoctions like lemon custard and bubble gum. Can’t decide on a flavor? Go for a “blend-in” and create your own unique mixture of flavors and toppings for your ideal dish.

Where: 3214 P Street NW

Bus: 30N, 30S

Milk Bar

Channel your inner child and visit Milk Bar CityCenter for a cereal milk soft serve. While the leftover milk at the bottom of your favorite sugary breakfast may not be a taste you had in mind, this spot is a hit among foodies, and the line is typically out the door. Top it off with rainbow sprinkles and you’ll be the envy of your friends with an Instagram-worthy scoop.

Where: 1090 I Street NW

Metro: Metro Center Station, Red Line

Ice Cream Jubilee

Located in the Navy Yard, Ice Cream Jubilee uses all-natural ingredients and makes small batches of each flavor to ensure perfection. The selection of ice cream and sorbet is unique and varied, with eye-catching options like Thai Iced Tea and Caramel Popcorn. New flavors arrive each season, so be sure to stop back in when the humidity drops!

Where: 301 Water Street SE

Metro: Navy Yard Metro Station, Green Line (transfer at Gallery Place)

Dolcezza

Ice cream’s Italian match can be sampled at any one of the DMV’s seven Dolcezza Gelato shops. You may have spotted the shop’s gelato and sorbet pints at Whole Foods, but don’t miss out on trying it fresh.

Where: For AU students, check out the Bethesda location (7111 Bethesda Lane)

Metro: Bethesda Station, Red Line

BONUS: Milkshakes and ice cream sandwiches!

If your ice cream craving still isn’t satisfied, D.C. has even more dairy delicacies to offer. For milkshakes, we recommend the BTS Shake at Burger Tap & Shake’s Tenleytown location and the peanut butter, chocolate and banana shake at Ted’s Bulletin in Capitol Hill (505 8th Street SE).

For ice cream sandwiches, you can’t go wrong with a Bakedwich from Baked & Wired in Georgetown (1052 Thomas Jefferson St NW). If you’re on the go, be sure to watch out for Captain Cookie & the Milkman’s food truck where you can craft your own sandwich from its freshly baked cookies. Keep up with the truck via its Instagram page.

ljakiel@theeagleonline.com