Thursday, June 20, 2024

Syrian dissident to speak at AU

Ahed al Hendi will talk on behalf of Help Syria Now on April 11

Syrian dissident Ahed al Hendi will represent the organization Help Syria Now on April 11 at an event hosted by the Kennedy Political Union and co-sponsored by the SIS Undergraduate Council

Al Hendi is a political activist who was beaten and tortured in Syria before gaining asylum in the U.S. He is also the founder of Syrian Youth for Justice, according to a KPU press release. Al Hendi currently serves as the program coordinator for the human rights organization CyberDissidents.org.

In the past, al Hendi has appeared on U.S. Arabic speaking news programs, as well as briefed members of Congress and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Help Syria Now is a group of young people advocating for a peaceful and just resolution to the Syrian civil war, according to the press release.

The event will take place at 6 pm in MGC rooms 3-4.

“The Syrian Civil War remains one of the most pressing global issues today and is of high interest to many American University students, especially those in the School of International Service,” KPU Communications Director Coby Eiss said in the release.

kmagill@theeagleonline.com

As the semester comes to an end and one of the founding members leaves American University, Section 202 has decided to take a trip down memory lane. For our fans, old and new, who are wondering how Section 202 came to be, this episode is a must. Listen along as hosts Connor Sturniolo and Liah Argiropoulos reminisce about the beginning of Section 202 and how it got to where it is now.