Courtesy of the Kennedy Political Union

Donna Brazile named WONK of the Year

The vice-chairwoman of the Democratic National Convention will address students on March 24

The Kennedy Political Union has named Donna Brazile, the vice-chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee, as the 2016 WONK of the Year. Brazile will address the AU community in Bender Arena on March 24, according to a KPU press release.

Brazile is a long time political strategist, having worked as a columnist, television commentator, author and a current adjunct professor at Georgetown University. She is the vice-chair of voter registration and participation at the Democratic National Committee, and is also the former interim national chair of the DNC, and former chair of the DNC’s Voting Rights Institute, according to the release.  

Along with her varied professional posts, Brazile works to encourage young people to be active in the political process and vote, and often addresses current campaigns and controversial legislation during her own presentations, the release said.

“Through her various positions in the political realm, Brazile remains one of the more passionate and influential political voices on television, in Washington, and across the country,” KPU Communications Director Coby Eiss said in the release. “The Kennedy Political Union believes her dedication to youth participation in politics and commitment to making political participation accessible to all people will provide students and alumni with an inspiring and insightful experience.”

Eiss also noted that this year’s event is part of a larger theme to recognize the work of women leaders, a combined effort with the Women’s Initiative and all of SG to further recognize Women’s History Month.

“The joint effort seeks to promote the work of impactful young women on campus, distinguished women alumni of American University, and women like Brazile who have made a resounding impact in their fields,” Eiss said in an email.

University President Neil Kerwin will present Brazile with the WONK of the Year award at 8:15 pm. Brazile will then address students, followed by a question and answer session with attendees. Seating for the event is first come first serve.

kmagill@theeagleonline.com