Science and sweets! The unique chemistry between coffee brewing and beakers makes Sweet Science an Adams Morgan hot spot. 

Adams Morgan Hot Spots

The Scene explored some of Adams Morgans best spots for food and coffee.

Mellow Mushroom

Mellow Mushroom, an Adams Morgan favorite, offers classic southern pizzas and hoagies, providing a heavenly combo for those craving a cheesy and delicious meal.

Swinging the door open to Mellow Mushroom, you may be overwhelmed with the aroma of baked calzones and steaming pizzas, but the your eyes (not your nose) will instantly be drawn to the decor. In a town as serious as D.C, city-goers will enjoying dining at a place that is a bit funky and playful. Unique graffiti, murals and band posters fill the walls of the pizzeria, which gives the establishment an artistic vibe.The brick walls, high-rise chairs and peeling paint add a rustic touch, helping to blend the mix of old and new.

Rock music adds background noise in the restaurant, helping build the perfect vibe for a night out with friends. Nothing says fun in the city like good music and pizza combination. As customers dish out on pizza and hoagies, they can enjoy live music on every level of the restaurant.

Meat lovers can enjoy the 10-inch Mighty Meaty pizza ($13.95) and veggie lovers can try the 10-inch Kosmic Karma ($12.95). For the hoagies, Mellow Mushroom serves the Jerk Chicken and the Righteous Portobello Reuben both for $7.95.

In addition to the music and food, customers can come out for Trivia on Tuesday nights, a trivia contest for prizes. Mellow Mushroom also sponsors a Beer Club, an exclusive club for customers who can drink all of the beers at Mellow Mushroom. Club members get an engraved mug and their name on a plaque.

With a cool vibe, pizzas and hoagies, Mellow Mushroom caters to everyone’s unique tastes and can be a perfect place to enjoy a casual meal or take friends for Trivia Night. .

Address: 2436 18th St NW

Metro: Woodley Park Zoo/ Adams Morgan, Red Line

Millie & Al’s

From the outside, Millie & Al's looks like an average bar in D.C. However, as visitors enter the restaurant they will find that Millie & Al’s atmosphere distinguishes the establishment from other local venues. Posters cover the walls and toy airplanes hang from the ceiling, immersing guests into a vintage world.

When visitors look toward the sides of the restaurant, an array of posters, pictures and signs that advertise different types of drinks fill the walls. Toy airplanes hang down from the ceiling. The leather couches, authentic juke box, red walls and extensive decorations give the restaurant a retro, diner ambiance. A giant lightbulb and dancing skeleton complete the scene.

Millie & Al’s loves its Jell-O as much as its customers and serves Jell-O shots for just $1.50. If you happen to be at the right place at the right time, the giant light bulb at the bar lights up, the skeleton starts dancing, and the Jell-O shots instantly become a dollar each. It’s a tradition that attracts people from all over the district. Other traditions at the restaurant include half-priced pizza on Tuesday and karaoke nights on Thursday.

If the dancing skeleton and cheap Jell-O shots aren’t enough to lure you to Millie & Al’s, the food also lives up to the expectations. The restaurant serves crisp and fresh salads($3.50), very charming and cheesy pizza (10” for $5) and a homemade lasagna that puts others to shame ($8).

If it’s time to kick-back, watch a game and grab some food, head to Millie & Al’s for a night to remember. Unique traditions and people await at every Millie & Al’s experience.

Where: 2440 18th St. NW.

Sweet Science Coffee

For all the coffee addicts out there, Sweet Science Coffee is the definition of a quaint, corner-with-a view coffee shop. With an eccentric and geeky name, this local establishment experiments in the science of coffee brewing.

With brew pipes in the corner and beakers and funnels on the shelves, this shop feels like the cross between a chemistry lab and a local coffee house. Bright blue vintage chandeliers hang over the counters, and whimsical, quirky objects decorate the rest of the walls. During the day, most of the light comes from the large windows, giving the coffee shop a natural feel.

Although the coffee house is small and a bit hidden, it is the perfect location to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The no WiFi rule allows customers to actually talk to other customers, finish all their homework or read a good book, instead of roaming social media

The coffee shop offers bottles of cold brew ($7) or customers can enjoy the delicious coffee brewed in house ($4-$6). The coffee is made to your liking and menu offerings include chemex, aero, french press, drip and more. Whatever you choose, the drinks come out amazing. Delicious muffins, pastries and biscuits go along well with any drink.

If it’s time to get away from the city, get some “me time” or just get work done efficiently, Sweet Science Coffee offers only the best.

Where: 1800 Wyoming Ave NW

Mama Ayesha’s

As oasis in the heart of Adams Morgan, Mama Ayesha's, a family-owned restaurant, has created a prolific history within D.C. since the 60’s. Pictures hang throughout the building showing Mama Ayesha smiling with past presidents and celebrities. With quick service and a friendly staff, Mam Ayesha’s is a must-see for anyone looking for a delicious dining experience.

Middle Eastern decorations set a serene ambience for customers to enjoy, and the ceiling twinkles with a thousand glass tea cups that lit the restaurant warm and dim. A gentle water fountain streams through the middle of the restaurant, and all that can be heard are soft waves of water with the echoes of Arabic music. Moroccan-styled windows and lanterns shape the restaurant, setting the perfect environment for an intimate conversation or a date.

Mama Ayesha offers a wide range of home-cooked styled Middle Eastern food such as hummus ($7), Baba Ghanouj ($8), Mouzat ($20) and Shish Kabob ($21). The bar contains popular alcohol and includes unique Lebanese beers and some of the region's famous Arak. An authentic dessert menu includes a variety of Middle Eastern desserts such as Namoura, Esh il Asfoor and Ruz bil Haleeb, all served for $4.

Mama Ayesha’s is the perfect place for a fancy dinner with friends en route to Adams Morgan. Expect to be pleasantly surprised with the food, service and setting.

Where: 1967 Calvert St NW

scene@theeagleonline.com