Yarmuth

Rep. John Yarmuth to speak at AU

The Kentucky congressman will appear on campus on Feb. 25

U.S. Representative John Yarmuth (D-KY) will speak to AU students on Feb. 25 at an event hosted by the Kennedy Political Union and the AU College Democrats, according to a KPU press release.

He will give opening remarks followed by a Q-and-A session with attending students in Ward Building Room 2 at 8:15 p.m.

Yarmuth has represented Kentucky’s 3rd Congressional District in the House of Representatives for five terms. He currently serves as the second-ranking Democrat on the Committee on Budget as well as a member of the Committee on Energy and Commerce. Additionally, Yarmuth is known, “for his work to improve education, expand access to affordable health care and revitalize manufacturing in Louisville,” the press release said.

The representative’s appearance on campus is part of a continued effort to provide a wide array of speakers with diverse perspectives to students, KPU Communications Director Coby Eiss said.

“Rep. Yarmuth’s experience as a Democratic Member of Congress from a conservative state will provide an interesting and unique insight into present day national politics,” Eiss said.

jodonohoe@theeagleonline.com