Dark Matter

DarkMatter to perform at AU

The performance art duo will appear in Kay Spiritual Center on Feb. 19

UPDATE: The event will also be co-hosted by AUSG Student Union Board, according to KPU Communications Director Coby Eiss.

DarkMatter, a trans south asian performance art duo, will perform at AU in Kay Spiritual Center on Feb. 19, according to a Kennedy Political Union press release.

The duo will begin their performance at 8 p.m., and the show will be followed by a question and answer session with students. The event is co-hosted by KPU and AU Queers and Allies, according to the release.

DarkMatter is comprised of of Alok Vaid-Menon and Janani Balasubramanian and is based out of New York City. In recent months, the duo has appeared at venues including La MaMa Experimental Theater, The Brooklyn Museum and the Asian American Writer’s Workshop, as well as appearing at the the Public Theater’s Under the Radar Festival, the Lincoln Center’s La Casita Festival and the Queer International Arts Festival, according to the release.

There is no advanced ticketing or reserved seating for the event.

“In the 2015-2016 academic year, the Kennedy Political Union has emphasized a need to bring speakers and performers that go beyond the scope of Washington politics, and DarkMatter fits that purpose,” KPU Communications Director Coby Eiss said. “KPU is proud to partner with AU Queers and Allies, a growing organization on campus that advocates for the rights and interests of the entire LGBTQ community at American University.”

kmagill@theeagleonline.com