Top Stories of 2015

Recapping the Summer and Fall 2015 semester through the top headlines in The Eagle.

Just several days after the first members of the AU Class of 2020 received their early decision acceptance letters, The Eagle reflects on the events that shaped the fall semester for the current campus community. 2015 proved to be a big year for the school, full of both controversy and progress. With lots of events lined up for 2016, here’s a look back at the headlines that shaped the first half of the school year.

In early August, President Barack Obama addressed the AU community to discuss a nuclear accord with Iran. One month later, Daily Show Correspondent Jessica Williams inspired women and minorities to speak out for their beliefs. Over the course of the semester, Student Government helped pilot a sexual assault prevention program for Welcome Week, an alum discovered a new species, police arrested a former faculty member in TDR and the Tenleytown community moved forward with plans to open a District Taco, Beefsteak and Chick-fil-a. AU also earned recognition as a top college for queer women and a highly ranked journalism institution. It’s been a busy semester, but The Eagle has been there to report on it all. Here’s a recap of the top stories from the 2015 fall academic semester:

AUGUST

SEPTEMBER

OCTOBER

NOVEMBER

DECEMBER

The Eagle also published two print editions, which can be found on stands around campus and accessed online.

The Eagle would also like to honor the memory of the following individuals: Milton Greenberg, Julian Bond, Kevin Sutherland, Matthew Shlonsky, Mark Bevilacqua, Annette Normand and Tijuana Saunders who lost their lives over the summer and fall semester.