AU Alumnus Matt Shlonsky killed in shooting in Shaw

Updated: 10:10 a.m. Aug 17

Matt Shlonsky, a 2014 alumnus of the School of International Service, was killed in a shooting in Shaw on Saturday afternoon.

Shlonsky was killed in the second of two homicides that day, according to a report by the Washington Post. Shaw residents have been rattled by the recent killings, and the Metropolitan Police Department responded with a 24-hour post near the crime scene, the report said.

The killing is part of a surge in crime in the District this summer.

Kevin Sutherland, another AU alumnus, was killed aboard a metro train in a stabbing on Independence Day weekend. That killing has prompted city officials to crack down on violence committed on Metro trains and buses.

A Cleveland, Ohio native, Shlonsky was a member of the Kennedy Political Union, fraternity Pi Kappa Phi and the Men’s Club Ice Hockey during his time at AU, according to his LinkedIn page. He had previously interned for Republican Ohio Sen. Rob Portman and was working for Deloitte Consulting at the time of his death.

"The American University community is saddened by the tragic death of Matthew Shlonsky," AU said in a statement. "The AU community extends its deepest condolences to Matthew's family and friends."

cjohnson@theeagleonline.com

A previous update of this story corrected the spelling of Shlonsky's name. The Eagle regrets the error.