Panhellenic sororities see high turnout during annual recruitment weekend

Four hundred fifty students registered for recruitment

Clarification appended. 

Seven Panhellenic Conference organizations participated in AU’s 2016 formal recruitment season from Jan. 15 to 18.

Four hundred fifty students registered to participate in Panhellenic recruitment this year, on-par with the approximately 450 girls who registered for formal recruitment last year.

The sororities that participated included Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Xi Delta, Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, Phi Mu, Phi Sigma Sigma and Sigma Delta Tau.

The AU Epsilon Theta Chapter of Alpha Epsilon Phi sorority was excluded from formal recruitment after receiving a cease and desist order.

The chapter received the order from the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution Services on Jan.14, and is on disciplinary probation by the University through May 9, 2016, according to a letter from Colin Gerker, the assistant director for fraternity and sorority life at AU.

AEPhi has also been placed on sorority probation by its sorority headquarters, according to Gerker.

In accordance with AU’s order, the chapter is to cease any chapter-related activity, including formal recruitment for the 2016 season.

“An investigation is under way to indicate the outcome of these alleged violations of probation and student conduct,” the letter also stated. “Our office [University Center and Student Activities] is working with Alpha Epsilon Phi headquarters to review the allegations and take appropriate action.”

tmaher@theeagleonline.com

Clarification: A previous version of this story listed the incorrect abbreviation for AEPhi. The story has been updated to reflect the correct abbreviation.