Weekend Scene Nov. 5-8

The Weekend Scene: Nov. 5-8

Instead of moseying around a still-Halloween-decorated frat basement, pumping the last bit of Natty Lite and college spirit from an old keg, spend your Saturday at the D.C. Beer Festival at National’s Park. Other events this weekend include the opening party for the Annual Festival of Photography, the Alexandria Film Festival and Sackler Gallery’s celebration of Diwali Day.

Alexandria Film Festival

The local film festival will bring short feature films, documentaries, filmmaker panels and art presentations to Alexandria, Virginia for a weekend of art enjoyment. The event highlights local, national and international filmmakers, with four days of scheduled films. The first film, Thursday night, premiers the new PBS civil war drama, MERCY STREET. Forty five dollars covers all festival pass.

When: Nov. 5 to Nov. 8

Where: 206 Swamp Fox Rd., Alexandria

Metro: Eisenhower Avenue, Yellow Line

DC Beer Festival at National's Park

Head to Nationals Park to partake in this weekend’s beer festival, an event set to feature dozens of breweries which provide seasonal beers, food trucks, lawn games, DJs and more. Troegs brewery, Long Trail Brewing Co. and Capitol City Brewing Company, among others, will participate in the beer festival. Admission is $40 and includes unlimited tastings. Food is sold separately.

When: Nov. 7, 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Where: Nationals Park

1500 S Capitol St SE

Metro: Navy Yard, Green Line

Sackler Gallery Open Studio Saturday

Start your weekend off with a little celebration at Sackler Gallery this Saturday with a festival dedicated to Diwali Day. This free event will allow visitors to discover the Sackler's collection of South Asian Himalayan art. Take a family tour and immerse yourself in hands-on activities, such as creating your own kolam, a South Indian style rice painting.

Where: 1050 Independence Ave. SW

When: Nov. 7 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Metro: Smithsonian Metro, Blue, Orange and Silver Lines

kpappas@theeagleonline.com