Junior midfielder Natalie Marsh jogs across the field with freshman forward Rafaela Rubas (left) and sophomore defender Angela Virtu (right) during a game against Bucknell University on Oct. 31.

Field hockey season ends against Boston University in Patriot League Championship

After facing a 2-0 deficit at halftime in the Patriot League finals, the Eagles field hockey team notched a single goal but proved unable to pull ahead of the Boston University Terriers and claim a league title. AU, a team that rallied back from a two-goal gap in the semifinals the day before, ended the season 5-1 in the Patriot League and 12-7 overall.

"We are so sorry to see our season come to an end but congratulate BU on a great game and outstanding season," head coach Steve Jennings said to aueagles.com. "In the first half, BU was dominant, but to our credit, we fought hard the whole way.”

The Terriers earned their lead with unassisted goals from sophomore forward Grace Boston and junior forward Sara Martineau. BU outshot AU 7-2 in the first half. The Eagles, however, responded in the second half and outshot the Terriers 5-4, as a result of two penalty corners.

In the second half, the Eagles put themselves on the board after a scramble in front of the Terrier goal. Junior midfielder Natalie Marsh sent a ball towards the goal, and junior forward Natalie Konerth tipped the pass in front of the net, scoring the first AU goal of the game.

The No.14 Terriers' defense, however, prevented the Eagles from securing a tying goal in the final minutes of the game. With less than 60 seconds remaining, BU cleared the ball and then controlled possession, running down the clock to help them win the league title and a ticket to the NCAA Tournament.

AU senior goalie Kate McBeath recorded six saves, collecting two critical saves in the final ten minutes as BU attempted to expand its lead.

Konerth and freshman midfielder Rafaela Rubas collected three shots each, the most of both teams.

The Eagles last won the Patriot League Championship in 2013 and boast nine total tournament titles in program history.

Last year, the team fell to BU in the Patriot League semifinals, but Jennings started preparing the Eagles for this year’s tournament almost immediately after the loss, The Eagle previously reported.

Jennings credits his seniors, midfielders Emilie Ikeda, Bree Mercado, Isabel Terwindt, Jess Davis, forward Katie Lonsky and goalkeeper McBeath, for their leadership, citing their efforts as key factors for the team’s success this season.

"We thank our seniors for all that they have done over their four years," Jennings said. "Their imprint on our program will never be forgotten."

jreyes@theeagleoonline.com