Concert review: Neon Indian puts on an elysian show for nightcrawlers

Amid a stage bathed in soft pink and red lighting, Neon Indian faced the crowd at the 9:30 Club on Oct. 14 to begin a show based on its newest release. A lit-up neon sign, stage right, read: “VEGA INTL. Night School,” - to signal to the crowd the fictitious location of the band’s newest album. For a few hours, the band transformed the 9:30 Club into an underground ’80s venue.

Frontman Alan Palomo, clad in a leather jacket and black button-up shirt buttoned to the top, danced almost as if his performance were a tribute to the late Michael Jackson, while banging his head and swinging his hair in dramatic motions. His sunken, piercing eyes made their way across the crowd as Palomo sang “Annie, don’t run away/ Why I can’t find you.”

The energy turned from tropical, with the beachy sounds of “Annie,” to a more disco vibe with the rhythmic, computerized sounds of “The Glitzy Hive” and “Slumlord” — all from their newest album, “VEGA INTL. Night School.”

The atmosphere became electric among the crowd when Neon Indian performed “Polish Girl” - one of its most popular tracks off its second album, “Era Extraña” (2011). The bubblegum, yet emotive track got everyone in the 9:30 club dancing. The sumptuous lighting turned to strobe-like rays as the galactic and glitchy sounds of “Polish Girl” emanated from the speakers. The crowd continuously sings along with Palomo, “But you… you… fail to remember.” Five years after the dynamite track was released, all the long-time fans of Neon Indian moved towards the stage together, absorbed in each robotic note during the concert.

thescene@theeagelonline.com