Women’s soccer loses to Howard 2-1 in OT

The Eagles headed to downtown D.C.to take on local rivals Howard University on Sept. 11. The AU women’s soccer team led for a 64 minutes, but was defeated 2-1 in overtime.

The game-tying goal came in the 75th minute of the game after a costly Eagles (2-5, 0-0 PL) foul in the box led to a penalty kick.

Howard’s Kela Gray broke the tie and ended the game seven minutes into overtime off an assist from junior midfielder Dytria Ruddy.

“I felt like tonight's performance was good, but we need to put it together in 90 minutes," head coach Anabel Hering told aueagles.com. "Where we're at as far as personnel, we're in a good place; we just got a little unlucky with the PK."

AU earned the first goal of the game off a 26-yard shot from freshman midfielder Audrey Denkler in the 11th minute. Denkler’s goal, her first of the season, came after an assist from senior forward Kelly Donovan.

The Bison (3-3, 0-0 MEA) rallied after AU’s goal and built up their momentum. All but one of Howard’s shots came after AU’s goal, and six of those shots occurred as a result of AU fouls. However, senior goalie Courtney Bembenek, in her second start of the season, stayed clean in the first half collecting two saves.

In the second half, the Bison continued their attack on the Eagles, eventually landing their equalizer at 75:02. Howard sophomore midfielder Whitney White secured the goal on a penalty kick after AU junior defender Danielle Krachie pulled down a Howard player’s jersey within 18-yards of the net.

AU was outshot 8-6 in the second half.

With 30 seconds to go in regulation, AU junior midfielder Marley Jennings sent a shot into Howard’s goal but hit the crossbar, and the game progressed into overtime.

Gray ended the game at 97:48 with her shot past Bembenek.

The Eagles have one more nonconference game against Delaware State, before Patriot League play begins on Saturday.

jreyes@theeagleonline.com