(L to R) Tyler (ED OXENBOULD) and sister Becca (OLIVIA DEJONGE) try to tell their Mom (KATHRYN HAHN) something is horribly wrong in Universal Pictures? ?The Visit?.  Writer/Director/Producer M. Night Shyamalan returns to his roots with the terrifying story of a brother and sister who are sent to their grandparents? remote Pennsylvania farm for a weeklong trip.  Once the children discover that the elderly couple is involved in something deeply disturbing, they see their chances of getting back home are growing smaller every day.

Movie Review: “The Visit”

Director M. Night Shyamalan’s “The Visit” redefines the found footage, or pseudo-documentary, genre of horror in a way that will delight viewers. Refreshingly funny and beautifully shot, the film follows 15-year-old Becca (Olivia DeJonge) and 13-year-old Tyler (Ed Oxenbould) as they visit their grandparents for the first time in their lives. Their mother (Kathryn Hahn) hasn’t spoken to her parents in 15 years and Becca, who loves making movies, decides to make a documentary to unearth the reasons behind the estrangement and remedy their relationship.

The found footage genre has degenerated over the years, and Shyamalan has created a much needed and refreshing new take on the genre. “The Visit” quickly jumps back and forth between humorous and sinister scenes, but it does so effectively and makes for a fun ride. Shyamalan also ties in moments of intense drama, such as when the siblings bond over how they feel about their dad leaving the family. These sentimental moments help to flesh out the characters and contribute to the believability of the plot.

When Becca and Tyler arrive at their grandparents’ house, everything appears normal. Nana (Deanna Dunagan) and Pop Pop (Peter McRobbie) seem excited to see their grandchildren for the first time. But they insist upon one rule: bedtime is at 9:30, after which the siblings are not allowed to leave their room. But after 9:30 on the first night, they hear strange noises and their grandparents’ behavior becomes more and more erratic. Their curiosity becomes too much to bear, and they venture out of their room.

Oxenbould’s hysterical portrayal of Tyler as a precocious preteen who loves to rap provides much needed comic relief throughout the film. While Oxenbould certainly stole the show, every character in the film delivered a solid performance. Dunagan and McRobbie deserve praise for their creepy ability to be so sweet and loving one moment then vicious and cold the next moment.

M. Night Shyamalan doesn’t disappoint with his characteristic twist, and moviegoers will be left dumbfounded. Unlike recent horror films like the “Paranormal Activity” series, the found footage in “The Visit” doesn’t serve as a crutch to support a weak plot. Although Shyamalan has been producing some lackluster films recently, he brought his “A game” with “The Visit.”

Grade: A

“The Visit” (PG-13, 94 min) is now playing at Regal Gallery Place Stadium.

amaier@theeagleonline.com