Men’s soccer soars past another ranked opponent

No. 21 men’s soccer takes down No. 18 LMU in New Mexico Tournament

For the second time in a week, AU men’s soccer pulled an upset over a superior side, this time beating No. 18 Loyola Marymount University 1-0 at the TLC Plumbing & Utility Invitational in Albuquerque, N.M.

Last week, the Eagles (6-1, 0-0 PL) overcame then-No. 17 Hofstra for a 2-0 win. This Friday, an early goal was enough for AU to hold on and defeat the LMU Lions (5-2, 0-0 WCC). Senior goalkeeper Dylan Hobert and the Eagles completed their fourth shutout in seven games.

In the sixth minute, junior midfielder Dale Ludwig put the Eagles ahead after weaving his way through the LMU defense and finishing a shot low in the corner off an assist from sophomore forward Joel Hart. Despite the low-scoring affair in Albuquerque, AU remains among national leaders in many offensive categories. The Eagles rank second nationally in scoring offense, averaging 3.33 goals per game, and senior midfielder Liam Robley leads the country with eight assists thus far.

AU had multiple chances to double their lead later in the second half, with Ludwig contributing three shots, including a diving header that missed the target by a close margin. The Eagles tallied 15 shots total throughout the game, with five of them on target, but came out with only one goal. However the defense was never tested a great deal, as senior goalkeeper Dylan Hobert was only troubled to make one save during the first game of the tournament.

The Eagles will finish off the weekend tournament with a game tonight against the host team No. 17 University of New Mexico, who defeated Missouri State University 1-0 in their first game of the tournament on Friday. Sunday’s game will be AU’s final contest before opening Patriot League play next weekend against Colgate.