Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024

Madeleine Albright to speak at All-American Weekend

Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright will speak at Bender Arena on Oct. 17, according to a release from the Kennedy Political Union.

The event will be held during All-American weekend and is free to AU students. It starts at 8:15 p.m. Parents who wish to attend will have to get a ticket from the University’s All-American Weekend page, according to the release.

Albright will start the event with opening remarks, and then allow attendees to ask questions in an open session.

Albright held her position from 1997 to the end of former President Bill Clinton’s term in January, 2001.

“During her time in this role, Albright advocated strong alliances, democracy and human rights, as well as the importance of American trade and business,” the release said.

Before serving as secretary of state, she was the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, starting in 1993. She is now the head of a global strategy firm Albright Stonebridge Group and investment advisory company Albright Capital Management LLC, according to the release, in addition to being a professor at Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service.

cjohnson@theeagleonline.com