AU freshmen lacrosse goalies stay strong and confident inside the cage

Rose Redfoot leaves lacrosse practice every day covered in bruises.

The freshman lacrosse goalie, who wears nothing but a chest protector, helmet and gloves, defines her success by how often she can successfully throw herself in front of a small, yellow rubber ball that can move up to 80 miles per hour when shot by a skilled teammate during practice or an opponent during a game.

“Everyone always says goalies are crazy, but I just try not to think about it,” Redfoot said. “I’m covered in bruises. It’s worth it. It hurts sometimes, but there is nothing like having a really good save, it’s the best feeling.”

She has experienced numerous broken fingers during her career as a goalie, and she also broke her foot making a save in high school when a top-ranked player launched the ball low to the ground and split Redfoot’s foot in half. The injuries, however, don’t usually occur when she tries to make a save, Redfoot said. Instead, they are more likely to happen when she steps out of the goal to make a play or pass the ball to a teammate, Redfoot said.

A North Carolina native, Redfoot has started in every game so far for the Eagles. Despite being one of the youngest players on the field, she has embraced her position with vigor and confidence, citing previous experience as a starter as a critical element to her success.

“Even as a freshman in high school, I started, so I’m kinda used to that being younger and playing up,” Redfoot said. “When I was in sixth grade, I played on a high school team so I’m used to playing with older people. It’s a lot of pressure sometimes, but when you’re out there, it doesn’t matter what grade you’re in. The senior defenders are working really hard in front of me and I trust them, so it doesn’t really matter.”

As an elementary school student, Redfoot became immersed in the sports of lacrosse under the guidance of her mother, who coached lacrosse in North Carolina. In addition to lacrosse, Redfoot also dabbled in field hockey and volleyball in high school, playing one season of each. Her true passion, however, laid in lacrosse, and she committed to AU during her senior year of high school.

Standing 5’9, Redfoot covers the goal with her long limbs and lean frame, and she uses her height to her advantage.

Back-up freshman goalie Taylor Dumpson admires Redfoot’s skills, and she tries to learn from her teammate every day. Dumpson, however, also brings a different set of skills to the Eagle line-up.

“You have to realize what your strengths are, so like with Rose, she’s good with up high, but for me, ‘cause I’m short, I’m better low,” Dumpson said.

Dumpson, a walk-on for the Eagles, primarily played defense in high school but switched the back-up goalie position under the suggestion of head coach Emma Wallace. She has enthusiastically accepted her new role, grateful to have the opportunity to play for AU. Dumpson, despite playing in the back-up position, saw playing time against Mount St. Mary’s University on March 11, and she also played against Bucknell University on March 28. While on the field, Dumpson said she feels pressure inside the cage, but the support of her teammates inspires her to perform to her potential.

“I’m afraid to mess up, so I just have to block it out, but everyone on the sidelines is definitely, like, so positive and pep me up beforehand like ‘Taylor, you got this. You’re good,’” Dumpson said.

The two young athletes, Dumpson and Redfoot, work together in practice, and Dumpson works to pick up techniques from her teammate during their workouts.

“We definitely switch a lot during practice, so we get the same kind of sets, and I also stand behind goal, so I see what she does, so that I do that,” Dumpson said.

The Eagles look to improve upon their 5-12 record from the 2014 season, and the freshman goalies hope that their team chemistry and positive mentality will allow them to see success.

“Again, with the stress of being a goalie, this team is so supportive, it helps a lot even when we do mess up, like ‘it had to get through us, you’re fine,’” Redfoot said.

Redfoot will continue to risk bruises and injuries in her position as the starting keeper for the Eagles, but she chooses to focus on the challenge of each game, rather than the danger of the position.

“I always think ‘just be faster than the ball,’” Redfoot said. “If I just repeat that in my head, I’m not thinking about what I’m actually doing.”

Sscovel@theeagleonline.com