Capitol Hill Books

Exploring Capitol Hill Books’ nooks

Capitol Hill Books is a must for any Washingtonian.

Tucked away in the busy streets of Southeast D.C. sits one of the city’s popular independent bookstores, Capitol Hill Books. Wedged in between two mundane buildings, the quaint bookstore lures bystanders in with its vintage charm and an immense exhibit of books through the display window.

Upon entering, guests are greeted by a bewildering array of books -- everywhere. From nooks and crannies on the floor to toppling tabletops, volumes of books engulf the three-story shop.

“It’s anything but neat,” owner Jim Toole said about the 24-year-old bookstore.

If one is not careful, towers of books could easily fall, enclosing people whole.

With this in mind, many brave visitors venture up the rickety stairs, with caution, to be presented with even more piles of second-hand paperbacks, hardcovers and antique leather-bound writings. Scouring through the cramped shelves, one will be eager to find a diverse collection of work, instead of your typical teen sci-fi or heartthrob novels. Ranging from a stack of Jodi Picoult and dissident authors to highly acclaimed classics, which included the likes of Jane Austen and Charles Dickens, the assortment of books can fulfill anyones inner bookworm.

20150223_141111.jpg One of the many notes placed around the bookstore. Photo by Jenae Addison.

Toole, who has worked at Capitol Hill Books for over 20 years, hand picks a large amount of the books rather than solely relying on donations.

“People bring me a lot of crap. Instead of taking it, I go out and try to find high quality books that are cheap,” Toole said, “I find the best books from the dead.”

On making your own selections from the unique assortment of books, make sure to adhere to the many “love notes” and signs scattered about which resembles Toole’s sarcastic tone, that warnes “PAY AT DESK BEFORE LEAVING, THIEVES WILL BE DECONSTRUCTED!”

Equipped with newly purchased books, one cannot help but get excited about the unconventional place in such a conventional city.

There aren't many bookshops that seem to display their deep appreciation for literature while also personalizing the experience for its customers. However, as you leave the eccentric space of Capitol Hill Books, you realize that you have found just that.

Address: 657 C St SE

Metro: Eastern Market stop, Blue Line