Women's Basketball uses early second half burst to pull away from Lehigh

Despite a slow start, AU was able to bounce back and secure a crucial Patriot League victory to keep its slim lead atop the conference standings in tact. The Eagles rallied from an 11-point deficit down midway through the half to built up a 17-point second half lead en route to defeating the Lehigh University Mountain Hawks, 74-65.

The Eagles celebrated Play4Kay night at Bender Arena, honoring former North Carolina State basketball coach Kay Yow who passed away from cancer six years ago. Members of the AU women’s team wore pink socks, and coaches from both teams wore pink in order to raise awareness for breast cancer and raise funds for cancer research. Students also participated in a bra-decorating contest to help support the cause, and the four winning student groups received a $50 donation to the Kay Yow foundation in their name.

In their first meeting against the Mountain Hawks on Dec. 31, the Eagles needed five points from senior guardShaquilla Curtis in the final 65 seconds of regulation to force overtime and ultimately notch a 75-73 victory in their Patriot League opener. Strong play from senior guard Jen Dumiak and senior forward Arron Zimmerman ensured there would be no late-game drama at Bender Arena this time.

Dumiak led the Eagles (16-8, 11-2 PL) with 21 points, nine assists and eight rebounds, and Zimmerman poured in 19 points with 12 of those points coming in the second half. The Eagles started the game poorly from the field, making only two of their first eight field goal attempts. Meanwhile, the Mountain Hawks (16-7, 8-5 PL) were efficient in the early going, converting on six of their first 11 shots while building a 15-4 lead.

“I think we started out a little frantic and out of sync, and once we got ourselves back in sync, I think things worked a lot better for us,” head coach Megan Gebbia said.

The Eagles struggled to find their footing in the game and trailed by 11 at the 12:49 mark in the first half. A three-point field goal by sophomore guard Jordan Light ignited the AU offense, and the Eagles slowly started chipping away at the Mountain Hawk lead. After Dumiak rattled off six consecutive points late in the first half, the Eagles pulled within two points. The teams then traded baskets as the half wound down before a three-pointer by Curtis tied the game at 31.

Lehigh attempted multiple different defensive sets to try and disrupt the Patriot League’s second highest scoring offense. The Mountain Hawks deployed a one-three-one zone, a three-quarter court press and man-to-man defenses in addition to trying to trap Eagles ball handlers on the sidelines. Gebbia credited Dumiak for her ability to adjust to the different defenses employed by Lehigh.

“Jen’s at the helm, seeing the floor and knowing where people are rotating to. You’ve just got to give her a lot of credit because she is very patient when the ball is in her hands,” Gebbia said. “When you do that and are able to play under control, you are going to find open people.”

Dumiak’s ability to distribute the ball was a key element to the Eagles’ 12-2 run to start the second half. Dumiak delivered assists on two early Zimmerman three-point field goals that helped AU take its first lead and gain control of the game. The Eagles shot 53.1 percent from the field after halftime and were able to build a 17-point lead with 7:22 left in the game.

The Eagles leave Bender Arena for their next two games, beginning with a trip to Lafayette at 2 p.m. on Feb. 14.

vsalandro@theeagleonline.com