snowy bowser

AU closes Tuesday, D.C. declares snow emergency

AU will be closed on Feb. 17 due to snow, according to an AU alert sent at 11:47 p.m. The Terrace Dining Room, Eagles Nest and campus gyms will remain open.

TDR will open at 7:30 a.m., Eagles Nest will open at 8:30 a.m. and Starbucks will open “pending staffing,” according to the alert. The AU shuttle and Bender Library will be closed.

Bracing for what may be winter’s heaviest snowfall yet, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser also announced a snow emergency, deploying 280 snow team vehicles.

D.C.’s snow emergency goes into effect 7 a.m. Tuesday and will stay in effect until an announcement is made to lift it. The snow emergency allows the city to clear routes with red snow emergency signs. Cars parked on those routes after 7 a.m. will be subject to hefty fines totalling up to $370 and a trip to the tow lot.

The emergency also means that travelers are subject to surcharges in taxis. Metrobus service is also on a moderate snow plan. All travelers are encouraged to stay home.

Most forecasts call for 4-8 inches of snow in the District, including Washington Post’s Capital Weather Gang.

“We ask that everybody be safe, limit your travel as there will be a lot of our vehicles out on the roads this evening,” Bowser said Monday afternoon.

This post will be updated as news about AU’s operating status and city services develops.

cdil@theeagleonline.com