AU alum suspected in murder-suicide

An AU alumnus, Wajih Mazloum, who graduated in 2008 from Kogod School of Business, is suspected in a murder-suicide case with his girlfriend Sara Lamont, 25. Both were found dead in their home in New Orleans on Feb 1.

Police reports say Mazloum allegedly shot Lamont and then himself. Investigators are still examining the potential motives behind Mazloum’s actions.

Both Lamont and Mazloum were second-year law students attending at Tulane University.

In a message to students following the passing of Mazloum and Lamont, David Meyer, dean of Tulane’s law school, expressed his condolences and said the students had many successes in life.

“A native of Connecticut, Sara was an enormously talented student who was well on her way to achieving her high school dream of becoming a leader in the sports industry,” Meyer said. “Wajih, a native of Rhode Island, had worked as an accountant and financial analyst for a global oil services company in Dubai before coming to law school.”

Mazloum enrolled at AU in the spring of 2004 and graduated in the summer of 2008. On Aug. 8 2008, Mazloum was awarded a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration Degree and a second degree Bachelor of Arts in Law and Society, according to Michael Hunnicutt, associate university registrar at AU.