Women’s Basketball move to a perfect 6-0 in PL

The Eagles continued their undefeated Patriot League season, steamrolling the Lafayette Leopards 63-44 at Bender Arena Jan. 17.

AU now holds a two game lead in the Patriot League standings, in front of Lehigh (12-4, 4-2 PL) and Navy (10-7, 4-2 PL).

"It's just the beginning, but I think this team has gelled at this point," head coach Megan Gebbia said, according to aueagles.com. "They've played a tough non-conference schedule, and I think that's helped their confidence coming into the Patriot League. It feels good to be 6-0, but we know that we're taking everybody one game at a time."

Junior forward Michelle Holmes led the Eagles to their sixth victory in a row with a career-high 23 points. Holmes, the only Eagle to score in double digits, was 9-12 in shots and was 5-5 at the free throw line.

Senior guard Jen Dumiak played a well-balanced game scoring eight points, with nine rebounds and three steals. Dumiak continues to pile up assist adding eight tonight, to lead the team and the entire Patriot League with 112 total for the season.

The Eagles led the game for all but one minute. After a tie in fifth minute of the game, AU never looked back and went on a 13-3 run. They limited Lafayette to 19 points in the first half, going 8-for-24 in shots (33 percent). AU went into half time shooting 12-for-27 (44 percent) and 4-for-8 (50 percent) from the three-point line.

The second half progressed much like the first, and the Eagles sailed to a 63-44 victory. AU finished the night 25-for-58 (43.1 percent) in shots and outrebounded Lafayette 37-26. The Eagles capitalized on the Leopards’ 17 turnovers and converted them into 18 points.

AU continues conference play as they take on Boston University at home on Jan. 21.

Jreyes@theeagleonline.com