Professor David Pitts has been placed on indefinite leave after his arrest on Sept. 4, 2014. 

AU professor pleads guilty to first-degree burglary

The AU professor charged with breaking into the Foxhall Square Mall in September plead guilty on Jan. 23.

School of Public Affairs professor David Pitts plead guilty to first- and second-degree burglary when he appeared in D.C. Superior Court for his felony status conference, according to D.C. Superior Court documents.

A first-degree burglary charge in D.C. is the burglary of a dwelling while it is occupied, and a second-degree burglary is the burglary of an unoccupied building, according to the Metropolitan Police Department. Pitts pled guilty to both counts.

Pitts was originally arrested on Sept. 4 after breaking into the mall on New Mexico Avenue located near AU’s campus, The Eagle previously reported.

Pitts’ attorney Justin Okezie declined to comment on the status of the case.

The University is keeping Pitts on leave from his post as the Chair of the Department of Public Administration and Policy, according to AU Director of Public Relations Kelly Alexander.

“Dr. Pitts remains on leave and his duties have been reassigned,” Alexander said in an email. “We understand Dr. Pitts will remain in custody until his sentencing in March.”

Students in the School of Public Affairs received a similar email from SPA dean Barbara Romzek.

“We will continue to follow the judicial proceedings closely and share pertinent updates as they apply to the school,” Romzek said in the email.

Pitts will appear in court next on March 20 for a full report and sentencing, according to D.C. Superior Court documents.

kmagill@theeagleonline.com