Subway will move into the empty space in the tunnel formerly occupied by TIGI Salon.

Preparations begin for new Subway, Kogod anniversary celebration

The University renovated residence halls and classroom buildings throughout winter break, according to a Dec. 12 memorandum sent to the AU community from the office of Facilities Management and Planning and Project Management.

AU also began preparations for two major on-campus projects: moving Subway to the vacant TIGI Hair Salon and renovating the Kogod School of Business for the college’s 60th anniversary.

In honor of the upcoming anniversary, several new projects and renovations were proposed to enhance the building’s interior and exterior.

“Kogod 60th anniversary is still in a planning stage, but the proposed renovations include built-in display cases, upgraded furnishings and lighting to highlight the donor wall,” Assistant Vice President of Planning and Project Management David Dower said in an email.

Other proposed plans also include improving classrooms, a sculpture garden and a green roof terrace, according to Dower.

Projects such as those proposed for Kogod and the Subway in Bender Tunnel will continue throughout the spring semester, Dower said.

The interior of the former TIGI salon was demolished in preparation for Subway to move into the space, according to Dower.

“Subway will be moving into the previous hair salon space to give them a larger space with more seating,” Dower said in an email.

As these projects continue on-campus, construction was completed at two off-campus office buildings over winter break.

The facade of 4401 Connecticut Ave., home of WAMU, was repaired, and renovations took place at 3201 New Mexico Ave, the office of Human Resources, according to the memo.

The Terrace Dining Room and the Mary Graydon Center also received new lighting and furnishings, Dower said.

acohen@theeagleonline.com