CLAY

KPU Speaker William Clay Jr. (D) to speak on Feb. 10

The Kennedy Political Union will host Missouri Rep. William Lacy Clay Jr. (D) for a discussion on the recent Ferguson, Missouri events on Feb. 10.

The discussion will take place at 8:15 p.m. in the Mary Graydon Center University Club.

Clay will talk to AU students about the events surrounding the Michael Brown and Darren Wilson cases. After the discussion, he will answer questions from the audience, according a press release from KPU’s Publicity Coordinator Monica Patel

Many consider Clay one of the most effective progressive politicians in the country, according to the statement.

“As a leading progressive voice, Congressman Clay has worked over the course of his entire career to fight for the people he represents,” according to the press release.

Clay, a representative for Missouri’s first congressional district, serves as a senior member of the House Committee on Financial Services that has jurisdiction over the country’s economy, banking system, housing and insurance, according to the Financial Services Committee’s website.

Within this committee, Clay has worked as the ranking member on the Subcommittee on Domestic and International Monetary Policy and Technology. Clay’s subcommittee oversees the Federal Reserve, the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund, according to his website.

Before working as a Congressman, Clay served 17 years in the Missouri State Legislature during which time he authored Missouri’s Hate Crimes Law, which included gender and sexual orientation in its definition of a hate crime.

Clay has also worked on similar discrimination issues throughout his time in Congress. In 2012, on the issue of immigration, Clay advocated for Congress to not build a fence along the Mexican border and voted to allow undocumented children to attend public schools, according to On the Issues, a website that provides information on American politicians.

frodriguez@theeagleonline.com