The Weekend Scene: Nov. 14-16

A guide to what’s going on in D.C. this weekend.

After getting caught up in the chaos of midterms, we’re all emerging a little shell-shocked and surprised to learn that it’s already November. With only a month left in the semester, it’s time to take advantage of the city before you’re trapped in finals and then heading home for the winter. Here are some events happening around the city this weekend:

“War of the Worlds” at Dumbarton House

Enjoy an artsy night at the Dumbarton House and museum in the residential area of Georgetown. For $12-15, you can get cocktails while watching actors from the Picnic Theatre Company put on an in-person re-enactment of Orson Welles’ “War of the Worlds.” This is a nice time to relax outdoors in the crisp fall weather and sunset before it gets too cold, and it’s a perfect setting for a date (one-person dates are a thing, too).

When: Friday, Nov. 14, 6:30-8:30 p.m.

Where: The Dumbarton House, 2715 Q St., NW

Metro: 31, 32 bus to Georgetown, stop at R Street

Beyond Bollywood Film Festival

With over 1000 movies produced a year, Bollywood is one of the largest film industries in the world. This Saturday, the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History is holding screenings of five of these movies. From documentary to drama to comedy, this festival highlights some of the best the industry has to offer. Three of the films are followed by conversations with directors and actors, including the Indian-American celebrity Kal Penn. Best of all, the event is free. So clear your schedule for the day and expose yourself to another culture through film. 

When: Nov. 15, screenings run from 1-9:15 p.m.

Where: Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, 10th Street and Constitution Avenue NW

Metro stop: Smithsonian, Blue/Orange/Silver Lines

Sunday Night Funnies

For a comedy night that’s a bit above the average, try Sunday Night Funnies at Grand Central in Adams Morgan. The setting is intimate, making it a fun way to get a discount on drinks if you’re 21 and up. D.C. native Russ Green kicks off the night with his special brand of humor.

When: Sunday, Nov. 16, 8-10 p.m.

Where: Grand Central, 2447 18th St., NW

Metro stop: Adams Morgan, Red Line

FotoBazaar

Whether you’re a photographer yourself or simply an art lover, Fotoweek D.C. is the photo event of the year. Events have been running all week, but one of the highlights is the FotoBazaar this weekend. There will be 250 photographers showcasing their work at a gallery that is free and open to the public. The weekend begins with an opening party (not free, tickets available online) on Friday night, where you can mingle with photographers and curators over drinks and - of course - a photo booth. Then, throughout Saturday and Sunday, stop by the gallery to see the best of what the D.C. photo scene has to offer.

When: Opening party on Friday from 6:30-10 p.m.; Gallery open on Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Where: 51 N St., NE

Metro stop: Noma/Gallaudet U, Red Line

Ice Skating

The temperature is forecasted to dip back down into the 40s this weekend, so going outside might not sound very appealing. When the National Gallery of Art's skating rink is opening, though, it all starts to make sense. Throw on a couple of layers to enjoy this classic wintertime activity and ring in the winter holiday season. Admission is only $7 with your AU ID and skate rental is $3. Make sure to bring ID though - it’s required to check out a pair of skates. Plus, it’s the perfect activity to follow up with a piping hot cup of hot cocoa. 

When: Open on Friday and Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., and Sunday, from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Where: Outside the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden Ice Rink on the National Mall

Metro stop: Archives, Yellow/Green line