Men’s Basketball looks to multiple players to replace Wroblicky

Gardner, Schoof and Reed’s leadership shines during 2014-15 men’s basketball media day

The Eagles’ biggest challenge going into the 2014-2015 season is how the team will replace former center Tony Wroblicky, who graduated last May. Head coach Mike Brennan's simple answer is that they can’t, at least not singlehandedly.

Wroblicky, a former first team All-Patriot League selection and 2014 Defensive Player of the Year, is currently playing professional basketball in Germany for the Telekom Baskets.

“[Wroblicky] was the perfect center for us,” Brennan said during the press conference.

The Eagles will be looking to several players to fill the void, especially senior forward Kevin Panzer, as well as freshman center Gabe Brown, sophomore center Zach Elcano and junior forward Jonathan Davis.

Brennan pointed to the separate qualities each player brings to the court; Panzer brings 3-point shooting, Brown will provide much needed height and rim protection, while Davis and Elcano will see increased minutes off the bench. The Eagles will have to mix-and-match to replicate and even increase the output generated by Wroblicky.

Panzer, who sat out last season as a red shirt, is an accomplished shooter and will be playing on both the outside and the inside, while Wroblicky did most of his damage from the perimeter. Panzer’s ability to shoot 3-pointers will stretch the floor as well as score on the block, which will create more spacing for the Eagles on the offense.

The leadership Wroblicky provided will be carried on thoroughly by senior guard Darius “Pee-Wee” Gardner, junior forward Jesse Reed and senior guard John Schoof. The younger members of the team look up to these upperclassmen, naming them as the example they want to play like, younger members of the team said.

“Some guys on the team call me ‘Schoof Jr,’” sophomore guard Charlie Jones joked, “he sets the tone with his work ethic and a guy I follow after.”  

The Eagles have been widely named favorites to win the Patriot League. NBC Sports, USA Today and the Patriot League preseason poll have tapped AU as expected first place finishers.

However, Brennan and the rest of the team aren’t going to let expectation distract them.

“Expectations, we don’t really talk about that stuff to be honest with you,” Brennan said. “We didn’t pay attention to it last year, and we’re certainly not paying attention to it this year.”

Jesse Reed, who lead the Eagles in scoring last season, is looking forward to the season as well.

“Expectations are high from last year, but we know we have a lot of work to do. We’re not focused on what we did last year. We know what we did was special but we know it’s a new year and it will be tougher,” Reed said.

The Eagles will kick off the season on the road in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania versus Temple University on Nov. 14. AU will come home to raise their Patriot League banner versus St. Francis on Nov. 17.

jreyes@theeagleonline.com